Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Switching gears: How I found my place in volunteering

posted by
Sarah Hipolito
,
Program Coordinator, Senior
ASU Lodestar Center
A passion of mine for the last 13 years has been working with high school teens through my church youth group. During my last year as a student at ASU, I completed a youth ministry internship at the All Saints Catholic Newman Center on the Tempe campus. After that, I was released into the "real world" and went on to pursue a career as a youth minister. I spent the next six years coordinating youth ministry programs for two different churches within that time.

I loved my job and felt so fed by the work I did and the teens I encountered — which made my next step feel more like a step backward rather than a step forward. Almost exactly one year ago, I resigned as Coordinator of Youth Ministry for St. Vincent de Paul Church in Phoenix. Why? Well, mainly because I wanted more for the teens of St. Vincent de Paul. It wasn't that I felt inept to perform the duties of the job; I felt like I was being held back. And what was holding me back? Myself. I was afraid of burn out.

See, early on in my career I was made well aware of the high turnover rate for youth ministers. It's not uncommon for many to only last two years before they burn themselves out. This phenomenon was explained more fully in an article from the Catholic Sun in April 2007. At that time, I found myself nearing the end of my third year in the profession and being a mother to a 7-month-old baby girl. Having already passed the dreaded two-year mark, I felt good about what I was doing and where I was headed.

As youth ministers within the Catholic Diocese of Phoenix, we were always reminded to take care of ourselves, nurture our spiritual lives, and focus on our personal prayer time. It was explained to us that if we couldn't do those things, we wouldn't be able to help the teens do it for themselves. This made a lot of sense to me, and I was so committed to the youth that I knew I had to take care of myself, for their sake.

As the years went on, my daughter grew into a toddler, and then a preschooler, as children tend to do, and with that she became hungry for my time and attention. She began to realize that I wasn't home on weekday evenings and that I was often gone on the weekends, too — and she made it known that she didn't like it (also, as children tend to do)!

So, I adjusted. I watched my time at work, I made sure that I took time off when I put in extra hours, and I trained some key volunteers to do things that I normally did myself. One thing I did, though somewhat subconsciously, was limit programming for the teens. We had our key events, fundraisers, weekly youth group, and such, but I chose not to go beyond that. It didn't take me long to realize that the teens needed me to go beyond that — they deserved more. Following the advice I had been given, I prayed about it and soon came to realize that, if I was to offer the teens more, I was going to have to let someone else do it. The final quote in the Catholic Sun article really rang true for me: "If all of who you are is wrapped up in youth ministry... then you're going to burn out."

I didn't abandon my passion entirely. I am now back in the role of volunteer — and I love it. I have my time at home with my family, and I still give my time to the teens of St. Vincent de Paul church. I want everything for those teens — I want them to walk through the doors and feel welcome and at home; I want them to have experiences that will change their lives for the good and that they will never forget; and I want them to take all of that and pass it on to the teens, children, friends, and family members that come after them. It took a lot for me to accept that I alone can't give them all of that — but I can be a piece of the puzzle that can. Within this last year I have finally come to truly understand the cliché "less is more." Though I'm giving them less of my time, I'm able to help them achieve more of what I want them to have.

The youth ministry program at St. Vincent de Paul Church is in good hands, and as a volunteer offering my support I can help to make sure that those hands don't burn out or fall subject to those negative statistics.

Whether you're a volunteer, an executive, a board member, or part of the support staff for any organization — a faith community, a human services agency, or any other type of nonprofit — you will be able to do the most for those you serve if you find the right fit for you and what you have to offer. Depending on the support of others and knowing that life (or the program) will go on if you're not there is a big part of keeping yourself going and being a productive part of the team.

Sarah Hipolito is Program Coordinator, Sr. of the Nonprofit Management Institute at the ASU Lodestar Center. Prior to her work with the Center, Sarah coordinated youth programs within the Catholic Diocese of Phoenix for six years. She remains an active volunteer at St. Vincent de Paul Church, serving as a high school religious education instructor and is also a choir member at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in Glendale.

Like this article? Get another!

Click here to read Laci Lester's "Walking the Tight Rope: Finding Work-Life Balance in the Nonprofit Sector."

9 comments:

1. Sarah, even though I work with you every day, I've hardly known anything about your work as a volunteer and nothing about your work as a youth minister. That's of value to me in and of itself, but it also demonstrates how much I believe our lives and "work" as volunteers is really unknown or recognized, except by those we serve (and even, sometimes, not even by them). There's nothing wrong with that. But by reading your story, I see the variety of all human beings' lives and their commitments to many different communities. Thanks for sharing your own decision-making process about how and where and why you give your time and talents.

ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's fantastic that you were willing to admit that your former position might not have been the best place for you. It's incredibly hard to have those kinds of honest conversations with yourself, but ultimately it's clear that your decision was the best for you, your family, and all the amazing teens you get to volunteer with. Great post, Sarah!

ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I agree. We can really learn a lot about people by how and where they volunteer their time and talent. We can really get a picture of what they're passionate about and what is important to them.

ReplyDelete
  4. Kayla,
    It was so hard to have that conversation with myself, even harder to act on the decision I came to in the end, but like you said, ultimately it was for the best. I think that many people may find themselves in this kind of situation. I hope that my sharing with them about my experience can be helpful.

ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing Sarah. It's nice to know that approaching "burn out" can be a life-changing experience in a positive way when we do some soul-searching and discernment, especially when our hearts and minds are in the right place. I really believe there are so many possibilities and solutions to making each situation work where you are still able to share and give of your talents by pursuing volunteer opportunities while maintaining a healthy, balanced work and family life.

ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your story, Sarah. I was involved in campus ministry when I was in school, so I appreciated reading your reflections.

ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for another wonderful post, Sarah. I read this on Tuesday afternoon, a day I was at home with my daughter, who couldn't go to school because she was sick (as children tend to get!). Oh, the things I needed to do this week that didn't get done! But how lucky I am to work at a place where my boss says, "you were being a Mom, which is what you needed to be doing," and where a kindred spirit and co-worker shares a story that helps me feel peace about my choices. It was a perfect story for me to read this week.

ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie,
    I'm so glad the blog was so perfectly timed for you! I agree, it's so reassuring to have co-workers who share in your plight and can offer support!

ReplyDelete
  9. Cyndi, thanks for your comment! I really believe there is always a way to balance it all out, we should never give up on what we are truly passionate about. I mean sure, I've given up on my dream of being the next American Idol (I'm too old to qualify anyway - I checked) but at least I can still share that talent with a group of wonderful people in a community based choir.

ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Print This

ASU Lodestar Center for Philanthropy & Nonprofit Innovation

College of Public Programs | Arizona State University | University Center
Mail Code 4120
411 N. Central Ave. Suite 500, Phoenix, AZ 85004-0691
602.496.0500

An academic unit of the
College of Public Programs